Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A great read

Working in the library field for most of my adult life and being a reader for as long as I can remember, I have read alot of books. Many of them are old friends, some I have read over and over. Although I enjoy reading all genres and often "get lost" in a book, not many have really blown me away.

About a year ago, we started a "classic" book club, I loved Great Expectations, labored over Mansfield Park (I hate wimpy female characters) and couldn't finish Lorna Doone but I have been blown away by East of Eden! When was the last time I had to stop and reflect on a passage because I found the writing so powerful that I could not go on until I had completely digested what I had just read? I can't remember. The copy I am reading is a library book and is full of post-it notes marking my favorite passages, before I return it I have to buy my own copy.

Where was Steinbeck all my life?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments:

Post a Comment