Friday, August 8, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective

This week I learned that the unavoidable has finally happened... my eyes are getting older and I need bifocals.... yuck!! I don't know why this depressed me so much but I was really feeling sorry for myself. Believer that I am that things happen for a reason, it seems like more than a coincidence that I would get a phone call at work from one of our patrons who is an amazing gardener tell us it would be a good time to come visit her garden. This lady amazes me with her energy and zest for life! She has turned her backyard into a paradise and she is almost twice my age! I always leave her house feeling so inspired.
During one discussion with her about ponds, I mentioned that I really wanted a pond in my yard but my husband didn't want to dig the hole. Her response has stayed with me..... "Don't think of it as digging a hole", she said "just put your wheelbarrow and shovelwhere you want your pond to be, and every time you walk by put a shovel full of dirt in the wheelbarrow. Before you know it, you'll have a pond!". I guess it's true what they say, you are only as old as you feel. We are not sure how old Elizabeth is but she is certainly young at heart. One shovel of dirt at a time she has created an oasis of colors and smells that delight your senses. After touring her backyard, when we turned the corner to the front of her house which is an expanse of grass she said, "If I was 50 again, I would start another garden here". I think of her now everytime I look at my little flower beds and see a few weeds poking out of the ground.... I don't think I will ever complain about weeding again.
Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments:

Post a Comment